This delicious and addictive salad showcases everyone’s favourite superfoods: kale and quinoa. I like to throw in whatever I have on-hand (e.g. parmesan shavings, toasted pine nuts or almonds, caramelized sweet potatoes, black sesame seeds, etc.). We often enjoy this as a side dish with roasted chicken, broiled fish, or it can even be a meal on its own.
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice or white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp minced shallot
- 1 small garlic clove, minced (can be increased to 2 cloves if you like extra garlic)
- 1 large bunch of Tuscan kale, course stems discarded, leaves thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring water to a boil in a small pan, and add quinoa. Simmer and cover for 15 minutes, or until water is absorbed. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. (Note: I often prepare quinoa in a rice cooker which makes it fluffier.)
- Combine lemon juice, Dijon mustard, garlic, and a pinch each of salt and pepper in a small bowl. Stir to blend. Place kale and cooled quinoa in a large bowl.
- Slowly whisk olive oil into lemon-juice mixture. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add dressing to kale and quinoa mixture; toss to coat. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Garnish with toasted almonds, parmesan, etc.
Image: Laura Burton via FlickrFollow me!