This stuffed zucchini makes a satisfying meal accompanied with brown rice or quinoa pilaf to sop up the savoury tomato sauce. The low-fat melted cheese on top is scrumptious but without all the calories and cholesterol of full-fat cheese. Unlike traditional stuffed zucchini recipes, here we cut the zucchini into smaller “boats” which are easier to serve (and cuter!). Cajun spice and sun-dried tomatoes also add a little kick to the stuffing. Serves 4.
- 2 large zucchini
- 1/2 lb extra lean ground turkey
- 1 slice whole wheat bread, chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 3 pieces sun-dried tomatoes in oil, chopped
- 1 tbsp basil
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 jar high-quality tomato sauce (24 to 32 ounces)
- 1/2 cup low-fat mozzarella or cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Trim stems from zucchini and slice lengthwise and then crosswise, making 4 “boats” per zucchini (for a total of 8).
- Scoop out seeds from the centre of each boat and chop.
- Brown turkey in a large skillet until no longer pink.
- Mix together seeds, turkey, garlic, bread, sun-dried tomatoes and seasoning. Stuff squash with mixture and place in 9×13 inch baking pan. Pour sauce over squash and cover pan with foil.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until zucchini are fork-tender.
- Remove foil and cover each boat with shredded cheese. Place under the broiler until cheese is melted (about 4 minutes). Serve immediately.
Image: mountainmamacooks.comFollow me!