Fluffy mashed potatoes are a comforting sidekick to so many of my favourite dishes: roast chicken or beef, Shepherd’s pie, bangers and mash, and the list goes on. For those of us looking for healthier alternatives, it turns out that cauliflower makes a stellar stand-in for white potatoes. Also, steaming the cauliflower retains more nutrients than boiling. Give this recipe a try, and you’ll be forever converted!
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into large florets
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Place cauliflower in a steamer basket and steam until tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add milk , margarine and sour cream to bowl.
- Use stick blender or food processor to mash mixture until creamy.
- Transfer cauliflower mixture to a baking dish; season with salt and black pepper; run a fork along the top to create a pattern of ridges over the surface.
- Place under broiler for 5 minutes, or until peaks are lightly browned.
Image: David Reber via Flickr