Okra is one of my favourite vegetables … gooey and crunchy goodness. This gumbo recipe, adapted from “The Vegetarian Slow Cooker: Over 200 Delicious Recipes” features okra, brown rice and loads of veggies which makes this a very wholesome meal. This recipe can be prepared the night before and set to cook in the morning, so that a warm, tasty dinner awaits when you get home.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 6 celery stalks, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes with juice
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp Cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 cups okra, sliced 1/4 inches thick
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and celery and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, thyme, and bay leaf and cook, stirring, for 1 minute, Add tomatoes with juice and bring to a boil. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Add brown rice and broth. Cover and cook on Low for 6 hours (or on High for 3 hours) until rice is tender. Discard bay leaf. Add paprika solution and stir well. Add Cayenne pepper if using. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir in okra. Cover and cook on High for 30 minutes, until okra is tender.
Image: Carol via Flickr