This is an easy side dish for Chicken Fajitas, or it can be a vegetarian main dish with some Mexican rice. Perhaps the best part is that this can be prepared in under 30 minutes!
- 1 can beans (romano, pinto, kidney, or black), drained
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken stock (or water, if vegetarian)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 ripe tomato, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 fresh jalapeno pepper, chopped (optional)
- In a large skillet, cook onion over medium heat until tender.
- Stir in tomato, jalapeno (if using) and cumin, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add beans and stock to pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until beans are very tender and flavours have melded.
Image: stu_spivack via Flickr