If you are like me and you grew up eating (and loving) Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom Soup, then you are going to love this delicious and healthy homemade soup. The barley provides a nice texture while the miso lends a wonderful “umami” (a Japanese term that translates to “a pleasant savoury taste”). This makes an excellent weeknight meal since the ingredients can be thrown into the slow cooker in the morning and be ready to enjoy by dinner time. Best of all, it’s family-approved! 🙂
- 1/2 cup pot barley
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 package (250g) white or cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup, white miso paste (preferably low-sodium)
- salt and pepper, to taste
1. Place barley, broth, onion, celery and mushrooms into a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker. Cook on Low for 6-8 hours, or High for 3 hours.
2. Remove bay leaf. Stir in miso paste and continue to cook for an additional 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Image: lablascovegmenu via FlickrFollow me!